Tuesday, December 6, 2011

eye-opening.

I have a confession to make. I preach Shop Local, I'm a small business owner and many of my friends are too. I grocery shop at the local family owned grocery store and the farmer's markets. I love local independent gift shops, toy stores, clothing stores and craft fairs. 

That said, I will shop at Costco for almond butter, organic eggs and almonds. If I'm near a Walmart I'll stop to buy my makeup for less. I've bought books, toys, shoes and more from Amazon.  

I always felt a little embarrassed about it, but justified it simply for dollar and cents. I've had a bit of an awakening tonight. These two infographics were really eye-opening to me and it hit me hard. Shop local, buy better, buy less. 

I want Hannah to grow up going to amazing book stores, magical toy stores, stores where people know your name and remember you - the way I did growing up in Toronto. If I don't support the little guys, that might not happen. I'm going to work really hard at shopping smarter.

Hope you find these interesting. Thanks Åsa for sharing.

Fantastic infographics after the jump. 

Walmart Infographic
Amazon Infographic
Source: Frugaldad.com

No comments: