Monday, October 31, 2011

Tabouli with Pomegranate

















There's this cafe on Robson called Falafel Maison. It used to be run by an older couple, but we haven't seen them there in ages. They were awesome. Matt and I went for lunch a few  years ago and I had a big bowl of tabouli for lunch, I told the woman I loved her tabouli and she clapped and yelled out,  "my tabouli loves you too!".
My mom made tabouli a lot while I was growing up and it's a bit of a comfort food for me, here's how I make it. 

Tabouli with Pomegranate and Fresh Herbs
1 cup coarse bulgar 
2 cups water
pinch of salt
4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup of pomegranate seeds 
1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped

Dressing
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
juice and zest of a lemon
salt and pepper

Bring water to boil and add bulgar and a pinch of salt. Let simmer, covered for five minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Let cool.

In a large bowl mix tomatoes, cucumber, pomegranate, mint and parsley with the cooled bulgar. In a separate bowl mix all the dressing ingredients, pour over other ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: