Monday, September 12, 2011

working life and meals


















I feel lucky to be able to work three days a week and not full time, it's a good balance for me. I love planning things to do with Hannah on my days off. This past Friday we went to Jericho Beach and had a picnic in the sun under our umbrella.

I'm starting to get into a routine, getting my working days prepped before I head to sleep the night before. It's all in the planning. My bag is ready at the door before I go to sleep and my lunch is in the fridge.

Meal planning is key for my breakfasts and lunches. On Sunday nights I prep food for my lunches, these are my standbys:
• big batch of soup to scoop into a glass tupperware, these are my two favourites: gazpacho and minted pea soup
• lots of clean lettuce and herbs, chopped veggies, boiled corn cut off the cob, chopped tomatoes, peppered goat cheese, leftover roasted veggies, hard boiled eggs and pumpkin seeds - any combo of these into a glass bowl with a little sprinkle of salt and pepper. I keep homemade dressing at work. Lately I've been loving a variation of this lemon miso dressing (I add a bit of olive oil, dijon, pepper, rice wine and tahini to it)

If I don't put the blender out the night before for my smoothie, I end up running out of time to make it.
 
My favourite combinations are:
• almond milk, dates, banana, mango, ice, cinnamon and a scoop of greens powder
• frozen blueberries, banana, yogurt, honey, almond milk and a scoop of hemp protein powder
• banana, almond butter, almond milk, cocoa nibs and ice

Do you have any favourite make-ahead, on the go breakfasts? I'm wondering what other people do. I find toast is just not a breakfast that works for me, I need something a little more interesting, protein rich and tasty!

2 comments:

Julia Ronmark said...

Hi Kate, I love making quiona letting it cool and mixing it with yogurt (lemon balkan style is my favourite) and then dressing it with my favourite sliced seasonal fresh fruit! (this is from the Quiona 365 cookbook) and is something that keeps me going all morning and tastes more like a treat than the healthy breakfast it is. (you could make a batch of quiona and keep it in the fridge and mix in the fresh yogurt and fruit each day).

kate said...

Hi Jules!
I love the sound of that, I'll make some quinoa tonight and give it a try. Sounds like something Hannah could like too.
:)
k