Sunday, August 21, 2011

lotus root salad














Matt took Hannah out to visit his parents at the beach today and I had, for the first time since Hannah was born, a day off to myself. I read in bed until noon and then headed out for a big walk to Chinatown, walked through Gastown and up to Robson and home. I'm tired! On the way I stopped and picked up some lotus root for a salad I haven't made in years but remembered last night when we had lotus root gyoza at Hapa Izakaya. I first made this when I was about fourteen and many many times after that.

Lotus Root Salad
1 lb fresh lotus root works out to about 2-3 medium pieces of lotus root
1" of ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Rinse lotus roots with cold water. Trim off both ends of the root. Peel the skin off the root with a veggie peeler.  Slice into 1/8" slices and immediately put into acidulated water (water with the juice of a lemon). Drain the lotus and put it into a large bowl. Pour boiling water to cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water a few times. Drain well and put back into the bowl.
 
For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil. Pour over lotus, mix gently to cover all the lotus, toss in cilantro. Extra tasty if it can chill in the fridge for half an hour and its even better on day two!

No comments: