Friday, June 17, 2011

A bittersweet day.

Today was my last weekday of maternity leave, on Monday I go back to work. I'm as lucky as can be that a) I can go back part-time and more importantly b) my mom and dad are taking care of Hannah while I'm at work until September when we will start a nanny share with friends and their little guy. It makes it easier, but there are still late night tears (from me, not Hannah).

Hannah and I had a fun day today, we played at home, went to Commercial Drive to shop, and here, there and everywhere running errands. Hannah was a treat to be with and it breaks my heart that I'll be leaving her Monday morning. I've been feeling sad the past few days, it's a combination of heading back to work and what happened here in Vancouver on Wednesday night. Watching The National and seeing the videos of the riots over and over again - the unthinkable violence and destruction is so hard to comprehend - that these people live here and that they are Canadians is frightening.

There's so much I want to say about the riots, but it's all been said so well by so many other people. I think Rex Murphy said it best.

No comments: